Nice blog post from Dorie Clark, she share 5 tips to avoid hurting your cause when trying to persuade others in the workplace.
- Painting a black-and-white scenario: do not idealize your approach nor demonized the other’s point of view or ideas.
- Offering your opinion when it hasn’t been requested: try to engage positively with your listener.
- Assuming you already know other’s viewpoint: do not base your argument based on assumption on what other might think.
- Making it ad hominem: respect the people you are talking to, do not force them to be in a defensive mode.
- Launching into your script: control yourself, don’t over extend when selling your cause.
Quite a good reminder, eh?